Re: E-M:/ Agent Orange and Leukemia (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from "Stewart Freeman" <freestew@pilot.msu.edu>

Some Agent Orange may have been incinerated, but not all of it. Agent Orange
and similar chemicals continued to appear for many years. There was, for
example, an attempt by the U.S. Forest Service to use an aerial spray of the
chemical to destroy Oak and other trees in the area around Bond Falls Basin in
the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Newspaper reports at the time indicated that
the chemicals were "war surplus." The purpose of the project was to enhance the
growth of pine trees suitable for use as utility poles. Governor Bill Milliken
asked the Michigan Environmental Review Board for a recommendation. By then, it
was clear that similar spray projects were planned in several states. MERB
listened to scientists and people familiar with the area who described the use
of the area by hunters and others.  The testimony included very powerful
comments from Tom Washington of MUCC, and Dr. Howard Tanner.  MERB recommended
that the chemical not be used for
any aerial sprays in Michigan. When negotiations with the U.S. Forest Service
failed, the Governor asked the Attorney General to take action. Attorney
General Frank Kelley filed suit in Federal Court asking the Court to enjoin the
project until a full, proper environmental review was done. After a day of
testimony and legal arguments, The United States District Court Judge issued the
requested injunction.  The Governor was assistance from members of Congress was
later ale to convince the USFS to cancel the project.

Stew Freeman