Re: E-M:/ Dioxin related reviews - California and UK

Enviro-Mich message from "Erik Janus" <Janus@nwf.org>

Body burden data is important, I agree.  What led certain exposure
assessment experts to start to think that exposure to house dust
could be a major source of exposure to contaminants in soil
outside the home was the fact that body burdens (of lead, I think,
although I can't quite remember) were not reduced in residents
even though soil outside the home was "cleaned up."

Given the lead exposure issues in Detroit, I hope body burden
data as well as interior dust lead concentration/loading is being
collected and analyzed.  But that all boils to $, which nobody seems
to have these days.....

- Erik Janus

Erik R. Janus
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
National Wildlife Federation
213 West Liberty, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-1322
phone (734) 769-3351, ext. 44
fax (734) 769 1449
janus@nwf.org

>>> "Paul Hanly" <PNARH@bigpond.com> 01/29/03 12:07AM >>>
The UK has a 2 pg/kg/bw/day TDI. They have had huge reductions in
emissions
of dioxins to air, mainly through tighter emissions controls on
Municipal
Solid Waste incinerators, but there doesn't appear to be any body
burden
data from a quick look. Reduced emissions are great, but there are
reservoirs of dioxin in soils and women, just waiting to be passed
through
the food chain or breast feeding - although governments seem to
consistently
argue that the advantages of breast feeding out weigh the dioxin
disadvantages.