From: "Defenders of Wildlife" <denlines@den.defenders.org>
To: DENlines@defenders.org (DEN Activist)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:16:59 -0400
Subject: DEN Alert: Protect the Arctic Refuge Against a Sneak Attack

DEN Alert: Protect the Arctic Refuge Against a Sneak Attack

The 108th Congress convened this month and already oil corporations
are renewing their campaign to drill in America's premiere wildlife
sanctuary  the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Big Oil's allies
in Congress are hatching a back-door scheme to hide their measure
in the massive federal budget bill. Last year's bipartisan Senate
vote to reject drilling reflected the wishes of a solid majority of
Americans. It would be a perversion of the democratic process to use
the arcane budget process to authorize this failed and widely
discredited proposal. Drilling in the refuge has nothing to do with
the federal budget, and this issue shouldn't be decided in that
context. The only purpose of putting this issue in the budget is
to prevent open legislative debate and could even prevent a vote
on the issue. Don't let Big Oil destroy the home of polar bears,
musk oxen, wolves, millions of migratory birds, caribou and hundreds
of other species  all for six months of oil that would take 10
years to make it to market.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Tell your representative that it's wrong to try to pass Arctic
drilling in budget legislation. Thankfully, we have many supporters
in Congress, and even more who object to the procedural trickery to
which the oil industry and its friends have stooped. Congresswoman
Nancy Johnson, R-Conn., is collecting the signatures of
conservation-minded Republicans on a letter aimed at persuading
their party leadership to keep this issue out of the budget process.
Please phone your representative and ask him or her to sign Rep.
Johnson's letter. Call the U.S. Capitol switchboard today at
202-224-3121. Thanks for your support of the Arctic refuge -- the
crown jewel of the national wildlife refuge system.

When you reach your representative's office, ask to speak with the
staff member who handles environmental or energy issues. Here are
some suggested talking points:

*  I urge my representative to show support for one of our nation's
last truly wild places  the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge  and
to sign a letter being circulated by Rep. Nancy Johnson that
opposes using the federal budget process to open the refuge to oil
exploration and drilling.

*  The oil industry and its allies in Congress will say or do
anything to open the refuge to oil drilling, despite the fact that
a majority of Americans oppose drilling there.

*  Back-door schemes don't change the basic facts: Drilling in the
refuge will ruin one of our last great wild places, for what the
U.S. Geological Survey estimates is less oil than the United States
uses in six months  and it wouldn't get here for 10 years or more.

If your e-mail address is about to change, send an e-mail to
changeaddress@defenders.org and put only your new e-mail address
in the subject line.  If you're already using your new address,
be sure to put your old address in the body (not the subject line)
of the email.

DENlines is a biweekly publication of Defenders of Wildlife, a
leading national conservation organization recognized as one of
the nation's most progressive advocates for wildlife and its
habitat and known for its effective leadership on saving
endangered species such as brown bears and gray wolves. Defenders
advocates new approaches to wildlife conservation that protect
species before they become endangered. Founded in 1947, Defenders
is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with more than 480,000
members and supporters.

                       Defenders of Wildlife
                  1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400
                       Washington, DC 20005
                     http://www.defenders.org
                     http://www.kidsplanet.org
           Copyright (c) 2003 by Defenders of Wildlife