E-M:/ Supporting organic farmers in Michigan

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Janet Kauffman wrote:

... see below ...

Hello Janet,

The site you give below,
http://www.nocafos.org
has only limited info on Michigan organic farmers.

A more extensive list, separated into the
various counties in Michigan, is here:

Organic Growers of Michigan
http://www.michiganorganic.org/

Many of these farmers take prepayment and will then provide you with part
of the harvest all season long. Supporting organic farmers with your $$$
in purchasing their produce, is obviously the best way to assure their
long term success.

With a good size freezer, some home canning equipment, and some home
dehydration equipment, one can preserve every type of food for year around
use and thus buying in bulk direct from the farmers, makes even more sense.

Another separate extensive list of Michigan organic farmers was available
in hardcover, through the MSU county extension services. I bought a copy
in 1999 and there are some updates at this site:

Eating Organically
http://www.moffa.org/eatingorg/organicupdate.htm
You could email them to see if a new 2003 edition is available.

Another site with a wealth of information on organic food is:
Don't Panic Eat Organic
http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html

Lowell Prag