Re: E-M:/ RE: / Re: President on fuel cells and hydrogen

Enviro-Mich message from "Erik Janus" <Janus@nwf.org>

Maybe we should sit on our hand and let foreign companies not only
seize
the technology but dominate the US market for hybrid cars.  Maybe THAT
will send a stronger wake-up call to the Big 3.  All I know is that
when my current
car goes to the great scrapyard in the sky, I'm going to seriously
consider
a hybrid (assuming I can find one I fit in - I'm 6'8")... if Honda is
the only
one that sells one here in the US, then I am going with Honda.

It would be sad but market forces could possibly be a stronger
motivation
than weak regulation in this case.

- Erik Janus

Erik R. Janus
Great Lakes Natural Resource Center
National Wildlife Federation
213 West Liberty, Suite 200
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-1322
phone (734) 769-3351, ext. 44
fax (734) 769 1449
janus@nwf.org

>>> "Cynthia  Price" <skyprice@iserv.net> 01/29/03 10:12PM >>>
>WHY SIT ON OUR HANDS AND LET FOREIGN AUTO COMPANIES SEIZE TECHNOLOGY
THAT
>EXISTS TODAY?  U.S. AUTO COMPANIES HAVE SO FAR ONLY MADE PROMISES TO
MAKE
>HYBRID SUVS FOR EXAMPLE, MEANWHILE OUR FOREIGN RIVALS ARE DOING IT.
>
>IT WOULD BE A SAD IRONY IF WE HAD TO TURN TO HONDA AND TOYOTA TO BREAK
OUR
>DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL, BECAUSE U.S. AUTO COMPANIES WERE UNABLE TO
DO IT.