E-M:/ RE: / Bottle Bill Expansion editorials

Enviro-Mich message from "Mary La France" <mary.lafrance@mindspring.com>

Amazing, right at the time when the State administration is looking to curb
trash imports by restricting beverage containers from crossing into our
borders, the trash and food industry are trying to put a spin on the issue.

This line kills me. . . "the burden of accepting returnables was thrust upon
the food and beverage industry in Michigan."

. . . Poor, poor trashy food industry.

Now they are now trying to pin food borne illness on bottle recycling.

Speaking of food borne illnesses, the food industry never admits that the
main source of pathogens in our food comes from the filthy conditions in
CAFOs that carry over to the meat processing plants. The poultry inspectors
don't have time to watch for fecal matter when the production lines are
shooting through 140-160 chicken carcassas per minute. (Historically it was
13 per minute.)

For instance, in 1999 Michigan's Thorn Apple Valley had to recall 30 million
pounds of hot dogs due to contamination. In 2000 Cargill Turkey products
recalled 17 milllion pounds of turkey contaminated with Listeria. What's
worse USDA records indicated that in spite of the recalls, much of the
contaminated foods was not successfuly pulled off the market.

It's incredible the stuff we don't hear about and time and time again
agencies that are charged with protecting our health instead side with the
food producers.