E-M:/ Greater G.R. Food Systems Council Conference 2-15-03

Title: Greater G.R. Food Systems Council Conference 2-15-03
I hope that environmentalists on this list can appreciate why we want to take a closer look at the food system. From overconsumption of fossil fuel used in unnecessarily transporting food across the country, to the natural resource damages caused by the industrial farming system offering incentives for huge operations only, to the health issues raised by our unsafe methods of distributing food, ecological issues are abundant. We hope you'll join us!

Cynthia Price

The Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council/West Michigan Environmental Action Council present

ROOTED IN COMMUNITY: DEMOCRATIZING THE FOOD SYSTEM

February 15, 2003
A Conference About What We Eat and Where it Comes From
Registration: 9:00 AM; Conference: 9:45 AM - 4:30 PM, lunch of delicious local foods provided.
Cost: Before February 8: $20, After: $25 (includes1 year membership to Food Systems Council) Student rate: $10; scholarships and discounts for more than one household member available.

Key presenters are Mark Winne, Executive Director of the Hartford Food System www.hartfordfood.org  speaking on "Putting the Food System and Food Councils in Perspective: A Look Back After 25 Years" and Michael Hamm, the new Mott Endowed Chair for Sustainable Agriculture at Michigan State University, who will talk about the programs he developed at Rutgers University and what we can do here in Michigan. There will also be a presentation by representatives of the Select Michigan Local and Organic Foods promotion.

In the afternoon, the emphasis will be on YOU, dedicated to the the ideas and feedback of participants. There will be opportunities to meet local farmers, network with others of like mind, and find out more about Community Supported Agriculture or how to get involved in helping to feed the hungry. Whatever the problems and solutions you see concerning the food system, they will be heard!

Email
tcary@wmeac.org or call him at 616-451-3051 or Cynthia Price 231-755-3478 for more information. You can also go to www.foodshed.net for a registration form.