E-M:/ retreat for weary environmentalists :-)

For immediate release
For more information: Patty Gillis 313-822-4296

Faith-based network to present retreat for beleagured environmental activists

"For years environmentalists in Michigan have been fighting an uphill battle to protect our state's wetlands, clean water, and fresh air," said Patty Gillis, president of Voices for Earth Justice.  "We have a new administration now in our state, but an even greater battle remains to be fought on the federal level.  Oil companies, logging companies, car companies----all seem to be getting mostly their own way at a terrible expense to our environment.  Now, after the recent elections, we may have to fight all over again the battle to preserve the Arctic from oil drilling, reduce SUV emissions, and a host of other crucial issues.  Because we care so much, we environmentalists can get discouraged and stressed out.  We need something to lift up our spirits.  We need to be reminded why we do what we do."

For this reason, the faith-based environmental network called Voices for Earth Justice will be sponsoring a half-day retreat for environmental activists of all religious persuasions on Saturday, March 29.  Called "Connecting with Creation-Why Do We Care?" the retreat will be held in the Environmental Interpretive Center at the University of Michigan's Dearborn campus.

Dr. Orin Gelderloos, professor of biology and environmental studies at U. of M. will be the keynote speaker.

The day will begin at 8:30 am with registration and full continental breakfast, and will include Gelderloos' talk, bird watching, an inter-faith prayer service, resource tables with books and handouts, and a performance of the Praise Dancers, an interpretive dance company of children ages 6 to 13.  At 12:30 PM when the retreat has finished, the EIC staff will lead a nature walk for those who would like to stay. Cost is $20.00, and scholarships are available.

For more information about the retreat, call Patty Gillis at 313-822-4296.