E-M:/ Granholm's State of the Environment

Title:
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from David Holtz ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Anyone reading the news this morning might miss the fact that the environment was discussed in Gov. Granholm's state of the state address last night.  Not true. Granholm pledged that the environment would be a priority in her administration.  She talked about  imported trash and asked the Legislature to enact legislation that will allow Michigan to refuse solid waste that does not meet state standards--saying Michigan shouldn't be the nation's "trash can" (a big applause line there). She also vowed to outlaw diversion of Great Lakes water.  Granholm ended by promoting regional land use planning and the bipartisan Commission on Land Use.

No sweeping proposals, few details, and no surprises but  movement potentially in the right direction on three priority issues for the environmental community.

Full text of her remarks on the environment:

Likewise, the time has come to protect the spectacular environment that beats with the heart of the Michigan spirit.

In my Administration, the environment will not be an afterthought; it will be a priority.

First, we will no longer allow Michigan to be North America's dumping ground.

Federal law doesn't allow us to ban this trade in Canadian and out-of-state trash, but we do have the right to insist that trash dumped in our landfills meets our standards. I am asking this legislature to act now to pass legislation that will allow us to refuse to accept solid waste loaded with batteries, bottles, cans and toxic substances that jeopardize our health and safety. Our state cannot - and will not - be the nation's trash can.

Second, I stand before you tonight to assure you that I will exercise my authority under federal law to veto any proposed export or transfer of Great Lakes water outside of our Great Lakes Basin. Our water is our defining natural resource - and it should never be for sale. I applaud Senator Sikkema for his leadership on protecting our ground water, and with him I will push for a Michigan water protection statute to prevent the diversion of all of our waters.

Third, we will lead in promoting regional cooperation. As citizens we are not confined to the county, city or township lines drawn on a map - our thinking should not be either. We must think regionally about managing our watersheds, about our public transportation systems, about sharing common assets and services among units of government.

And this year, we must finally address the issue of land use. We must develop a cooperative, commonsense approach to how we use our land so we can protect our forests and farms, prevent the sprawl that chokes our suburban communities and threatens our water quality, and bring new life to our cities and older suburbs.

So I am pleased to join with Senators Sikkema and Emerson, and Speaker Johnson and Leader Byrum to establish a bipartisan Commission on Land Use to ensure that Michigan grows in a way that preserves the character of the state we call home. The Commission will be headed by two men from different parties but with a shared love of Michigan and a commitment to its future: Governor William Milliken and Attorney General Frank Kelley.

Full text of Granholm's speech, part one and part two:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/politics/0302/06/politics-78815.htm

http://www.detnews.com/2003/politics/0302/06/politics-78815b.htm

============================================================== ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/ Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" ==============================================================