RE: E-M:/ Huron Manistee Nat.Forest Plan Revision Mtgs - Feb 18-27

Absolutely, getting involved is critical, whatever your interests. The best
decisions on managing all of our public forests will be made when there is
open discussion about differing interests, thorough scientific information,
and comprehensive application of the laws, particularly those designed to
assure public participation.

For those unfamiliar with the Huron Manistee NF, you may be surprised to
know that it has what is generally considered the foremost forum in the
country for interactions among all the interest groups, from the timber
industry to snowmobilers to horse riding organizations to bird watchers to
non-motorized recreationalists of all sorts to ecological advocates to local
residents associations and local units of government: the Friends of the
Huron Manistee National Forest.  The Friends have held open meetings twice
yearly, organized by the Forest Service with their staff providing
information and listening to the public, for pretty much the decade and one
half since a settlement agreement in the previous forest planning process
set the Friends up.  While it is far from perfect, it is an exceptional
forum for raising issues, providing open discussion, etc. for anyone who
cares about these forests.  The background materials on the Huron Manistee's
website include a significant amount of information that was gathered from
members of the Friends who participated in 10 meetings a few years ago to
help flesh out the issues of concern.

Ask the Huron Manistee to put you on their mailing list to get information
about the next Friends meeting as well as participating in the meetings
relating to the Plan Revision.

Anne Woiwode

Subject: Re: E-M:/ Huron Manistee Nat.Forest Plan Revision Mtgs - Feb
18-27

The environmental groups are not the only ones interested in the national
and state forest plans.  Many recreational groups including trail riding,
have a stake in the plans as well.

Being a horse person, trail rider, and caring environmentalist, I know first
hand that many recreational groups/types have lost the use of some of their
favorite sites.  If all the groups worked together, like they do in Ohio,
i.e.: horse groups, bike clubs, scouts and 4-H just to name a few, we would
get farther, faster.  For some reason we are separatist on some of these
issues.  All these groups are alike in the fact that they don't want to be
shut out of any more areas.  So why don't we all work together more?  Good
question!

The only way that we get changes, is be part of the solution, in other
words, GET INVOLVED.