Re: E-M:/ RE: / RE: / RE: / Bottle Bill Expansion editorials

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Brown <mbrown@kalnet.net>

Tom - Thanks for the info on Spartan Stores spokesperson and the
Michigan Recycling Partnership. It is always helpful to know the wolf in
sheep's clothing.

Mary Brown

Thanks for the info
On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 02:15 PM, Rohrer, Thomas K wrote:

> Enviro-Mich message from "Rohrer, Thomas K" <rohre1tk@cmich.edu>
>

> Enviro-Michers:
>

> I'll answer my own question.....Mary Dechow's official title is
> "Director of Government Relations" for Spartan Stores.  I wonder why
> that job title was not used in the LSJ op-ed piece???  I guess that she
> is not a Vice-president for the corporation....or at least is not listed
> as such in the corporate information posted on the company's web site.
>

> See the following from the Spartan Stores web site regarding their large
> number of stores (94 supermarkets and 21 drugstores) as well as the
> large number (6,600) of convenience stores that they supply in six
> states....Helps to put the LSJ editorial into perspective............TR
>

> Fact Sheet <from http://www.spartanstores.com/news_body.html>
>

> Spartan Stores, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPTN) is a premier regional
> grocery/drugstore retailer and wholesale distributor based in Grand
> Rapids, Michigan. As a result of seven acquisitions since 1999, Spartan
> Stores now owns and operates 94 supermarkets and 21 drugstores
> throughout Michigan and Ohio.
>
> Spartan Stores also supplies more than 40,000 private label and national
> brand products to more than 330 independently owned grocery stores in
> Michigan, Ohio and Indiana and serves as wholesale distributor to 6,600
> convenience stores in six states throughout the Midwest and Southeast.
>
> Spartan-owned retail stores
>
> Store banners   #Location Acquired
> Ashcraft's 6 Central Michigan  January 1999
> Family Fare Supermarkets 13 Metro-Grand Rapids March 1999
> Glen's Markets 23 Northern Michigan May 1999
> Great Day Food Centers 3 Metro-Grand Rapids December 1999
> Food Town Supermarkets 39 SE Michigan, Ohio August 2000
> The Pharm drugstores 21 SE Michigan, Ohio August 2000
> Prevo's Family Markets 9 Grand Rapids, Northern Michigan March 2001
> Madison Family Market 1 Grand Rapids, Michigan October 2002
>

> Facilities Locations Retail, Wholesale Grocery and Convenience Store
> Distribution Michigan
>
> Grand Rapids (2)
> Plymouth Ohio
>
> Gahanna
> Toledo (3) Kentucky
>
> Louisville
> Convenience Store, Wholesale Cash-and-Carry Outlets Bay City Bloomfield
> Dearborn Flushing Grand Rapids Harrison Kalamazoo Lansing Muskegon
> Redford Township Warren Toledo

---