Re: E-M:/ Bottle Bill Expansion--Make Your Voice Heard!

Enviro-Mich message from "David E. Allen" <dallen@nmu.edu>

Folks:

Lets stay focused.  The bottle bill (and its improvement) focuses on
highways, beaches, etc., and the need to keep them clean.  I have some
experience with picking up trash on highways (MqtCty550) and beaches etc.
(Little Presque Isle Tract.  We pick up lots of beer bottles, some soda
bottles, lots of other-drink bottles, the occassional ballon, and no soap
containers.  No diaper containers (though, on occassion, some underwear
itself), and so on.  Been doing this for over a decade, and have yet to
come down with a food-borne illness either.

The bottle bill improvement is something that all (but the food & drink
industry, perhaps) can get behind.

Yes, work on reducing excess pakaging.  But don't bury the bottle bill
improvement in this larger issue.

Dave A.

At 07:43 AM 2/19/03 -0500, Jeff Surfus wrote:
>Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>
>
>Pete and others,
>
>According to a Grand Rapids Press story, over 100 "environmentalists and
>beverage distributors" attended the hearing on Monday.
>
>The food and beverage retailers continued their complaining about having
>to dip into their profits.  They also brought out the old warhorse
>"food-borne illnesses" as a result of the bottle deposit system, although
>they acknowledged that there has not been a single documented case of this
>happening under the current system.
>
>A rep from Meijer's stated that singling out beverage containers wasn't
>doing enough.  He actually said, "Why limit the deposit expansion to
>liquid drinks for human consumption?" "Why not impose it on liquid
>detergents?"  "And in fact, why limit it to liquids at all?" he added.
>"Shouldn't the deposit principle apply to any recyclable material?"
>
>I think he may be onto something!!!
<<<snip>>>

David E. Allen
Associate Professor of Management