E-M:/ Bottle Bill hearing Monday in Rochester

Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle <marybeth@ecocenter.org>

We have been told that the March 3rd Bottle Bill and Recycling Task
Force hearing will be held at Oakland University in Rochester.  We do
not know what building it will be in. I assume that it will start at
7 pm, like the Grand Rapids one did, but I will verify that.

Please attend if you can. Directions to Oakland University, and more
info on the hearings, are included below.

Mary Beth

Directions to OU: Oakland University is located in southeastern Michigan
between Flint and Detroit. Our 1,441-acre campus actually extends into
two cities - Auburn Hills and Rochester Hills, between Adams Road and
Squirrel Road, just south of Walton Boulevard. Take I-75 to exit 79 and
go east on University Drive to the main entrance of campus. Or, take M-59
to the Squirrel Road exit and go north to the main entrance of campus at
the corner of University Drive.

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

Last night in Grand Rapids was the first of several hearings regarding
recycling and expansion of Michigan's very successful bottle bill to
include additional beverage containers such as water, tea, juice, and
sports drink containers.  These hearings are being conducted by the
Recycling Task Force put together by Sen. Ken Sikkema and made up entirely
of Republican Senators.  The task force is chaired by Sen. Cameron Brown.
Other task force hearings are scheduled over the next several months
including:

March 3 - Oakland County
March 31 - Coldwater
April 21 - Port Huron
April 28 - Saginaw
May 12 - Adrian
May 19 - Gaylord
June 2 - Sault Ste. Marie
June 16 - Lansing

MARK YOUR CALENDARS.  It is very important that those supporting the
expansion of the bottle bill make their voices heard at these hearings or
submit comments to the task force.  The Michigan Grocers and Retailers are
already blanketing the state with misleading editorials against expanding
the bottle bill.

The legislature will very closely look at the results of this task force
effort to determine how they will proceed (or not proceed) with
legislative efforts.

Submit comments to Senator Cameron Brown.

His mail address is:

Senator Cameron Brown
PO Box 30036
  Lansing, MI  48909-7536

His email address is:  sencbrown@senate.michigan.gov

For more info about the task force and the times and locations of the
hearings, call Sen. Brown's toll-free number at 1-866-305-0316.

Talking points will be forthcoming.

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE

--