Re: E-M:/ Significant Bird Mortality from ...

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Praxis wrote:

> Of these pesticides, Brodifacoum and Bromadiolone are commonly used
> rodenticides that appear as turquoise-colored pellets.  They were the cause
> of death of several raptors, including Red-tailed, Sharp-shinned, and
> Cooper's Hawks.

There should be a law that these rodenticides cannot be sold to the
general public unless it is in a child-proof, weather-proof, plastic
container that can be used both outdoors and indoors, with an entrance
hole designed for rodents only.

Heavy duty versions of this type of container are already available to
bulk commercial purchasers of the pellets, for use on farms, grain storage
facilities, etc.

Currently, the deaths that these pellets cause, are related not only to
birds, but also various other wild life and pets. As it is now, the
general public can buy these pellets at most any hardware store,
supermarket, etc., packaged only in a non-secure cardboard container which
is neither child-proof, weather-proof, nor with an opening that restricts
it to only rodents.

Given that the law mandates much better restrictive protection for most
other household chemicals, one would think we would have sense enough to
apply similar laws to the packaging of rodenticides.

Lowell Prag