Re: E-M:/ tires for mulch?

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

What an interesting question.

At an MCATS meeting a year ago, a member noted that on her travels
south she had run across tire-chips being used as a mulch at state
roadside facilities.  She said it was highly touted down there (and
I've forgotten where that was).

At first blush, one would think of tire chips as pretty inert.  On the
other hand, I have read that huge mountains of tires which get wet are
subject to spontaneous combustion.  Seems like a compost pile, which
suggests a certain aspect of biodegradeable.

<KSavoie@accesscommunity.org>
---

> Has anyone heard of using recycled tires as mulch for landscaping?
This is a