RE: E-M:/ tires for mulch? (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from "Stewart Freeman" <freestew@pilot.msu.edu>

I'm no expert, of course, but I find it hard to believe that a mulch made from
tires would pose any real threat to the water or soil. Tires are, after all,
used to build artificial reefs. If you can put a pile of used tires into a body
of water to provide shelter for aquatic organisms, why would using it as a
mulch pose a run-off problem?  The more interesting question would be whether
there is a risk of a careless smoker or bar-b-quer starting a fire in the
mulch. Would the potential air pollution be comparable to thick smoke that is
so visible in the pictures on TV when demonstrators set fire to some old tires?
I'll bet that Anne Woiwode would not be pleased if the mulch on her neighbor's
strawberries was afire, sending up great clouds of dense smoke with a heavy
smell of burning rubber....
 Stew Freeman