RE: E-M:/ tires for mulch?

Having done some Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment work throughout the 1990's, I sometimes encountered debris on properties, including many tires on a few sites. I inquired of the MDNR at that time (early 90's) and was told that tires contain a variety of metals, not just the reinforcing wire, but actually particles within the tire, including zinc, etc., and as I recall, the MDNR felt that the levels of metal content could be a concern.

Bill Collins

Huron Ecologic, LLC
3335 Crooks Road
Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309 USA
phone & fax: 248-852-4682
e-mail: huronecologic@netzero.net

Huron Ecologic provides wetland delineations, wetland permitting, wetland mitigation design & monitoring, tree inventories, botanical & ecological surveys, natural area protection, nature education, and technical training.

Enviro-Mich message from "Savoie, Kathryn" <KSavoie@accesscommunity.org>

Has anyone heard of using recycled tires as mulch for landscaping? This is a
totally new one to me, but it is being marketed to our organization as
"environmentally friendly," and I have some concerns. Doesn't this stuff
degrade, however slowly?  If so, what are the environmental implications?
I'd appreciate any information on this topic. Thanks.

Kathryn Savoie, Ph.D.
Environmental Program Director
ACCESS

NEW ADDRESS & PHONE: