Re: E-M:/ tires for mulch? (fwd)

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

I do not have any information on whether scrap tire "mulch" would be considered
inert.  However, the other and probably larger threats, are both related to "whole"
scrap tires. Those are the risk of uncontrollable fires and mosquito breeding.

The out-of-control tire fires of the past were usually large piles of whole tires.
The fire burning inside the tire was virtually impossible to put out without burying
the entire pile.  These tire fires resulted in massive air, water and groundwater
pollution. Scrap tire mulch I do not beleive would pose the same danger.

Whole tires are also associated with mosquito breeding habitat.

The Michigan Environmental Council (MEC) believes:

1) Any long-term storage of whole tires should be prohibited. All storage facilities
should be required to chip the tires first and provide adequate fire lanes for
emergency vehicles.

2) Uses other than tire derived fuel (tdf) should be encouraged.  The state should
be taking the lead in promoting the use of rubberized asphalt and other
applications.

James Clift
Michigan Environmental Council
119 Pere Marquette, Ste 2A