E-M:/ Apomixis: alternative to GMO ...

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Praxis wrote:

... see below ...

There is an alternative to GMO which will prevent the problem of cross
pollination with unwanted genes while still producing super crops which
are safe.

The process is called apomixis which is self cloning to produce new seed
without pollination and which many plants already use naturally, like
dandelions.

The GMO industry is opposed to this new research, as apomixis can produce
both super crop breeding and new seeds which come true to the breeding.

Thus, the farmers can save their own seed each season which retains the
super crop breeding, to replant next season and can avoid the additional
cost of having to buy new seeds each season.

To learn more, see the March 2003 issue
of MIT's 'Technology Review' magazine:

Corn That Clones Itself
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/charles0303.asp