E-M:/ Re: National Forest Plan Meetings

Enviro-Mich message from "Mary La France" <mary.lafrance@mindspring.com>

With the forest planning meetings taking place around the state, here is an
issue worth considering.

Currently, research at University of Michigan centers on low-lignin trees
which will turn into paper more easily (cheaply). GE (genetically
engineered) trees can be altered in many ways -- to grow fast, to have no
seed or cones, to produce their own pesticides.  There are ecological
concerns and a need to better understand potential long-term effects of gene
flow between GE trees and wild forest relatives.

Is it time to start our work against genetically engineered trees?  If you
think the answer is yes and you want to be involved, send your thoughts to
Sierra Club's Genetic Engineering Committee.  We want to hear from you.

I'm a corresponding member and will share all responses with the GEC, or you
may write to the chair, Dr. Jim Diamond, jim.diamond@sierraclub.org.