E-M:/ Bottle Bill Expansion Hearing MONDAY!!

From Mary Beth Doyle of the Ecology Center:

Expand the Bottle Bill in Michigan

CITIZENS' HEARING Monday, March 3rd

The only Detroit-area hearing of the Bottle Bill and Recycling Task Force is this coming Monday.  Please attend to let the legislative task force know that we need a bottle bill that includes bottled water, juice, tea, and sports drinks. Those wishing to testify should contact Senator Brown's office toll-free at 866-305-0316. You can also send written comments to the Committee Chair, especially if you cannot attend the hearing.

Monday March 3rd at 7pm
Gold Rooms
Oakland Center, Upper Level
Oakland University
Rochester
See campus map at
http://www.oakland.edu/map/

Details:
More than 2 dozen environmental and community organizations are working together on a Don't Trash Michigan campaign which promotes efforts to reduce trash imports into Michigan and to improve recycling and waste handling in the state. The campaign supports expansion of Michigan's Bottle Bill to include juice, tea, sport drink, and water containers.  The state's Bottle Bill is both popular and effective, recovering over 95% of the state's returnable bottles and cans.  The Bottle Bill reduces litter, increases recycling, creates jobs, and saves money.  But most juice, tea, sport drink, and water containers were hardly even sold commercially when the law was enacted in 1976. It's time we bring our Bottle Bill into the 21st Century. For more information, and to join the Don't Trash Michigan Campaign, go to: http://www.stoptrash.org.

To send written comments:
Cameron Brown (R) - 16, Sturgis
Post Office Box 30036
Lansing, MI  48909-7536
Counties: Branch, Hillsdale, Lenawee, St. Joseph
Phone: (517) 373-5932
FAX: (517) 373-5944
Office Location: 205 Farnum Building
E-mail Address: SenCBrown@senate.michigan.gov