E-M:/ Re: National Forest Plan Meetings

Enviro-Mich message from "Mary La France" <mary.lafrance@mindspring.com>

Folks, sorry about the typo, on GE Trees.

The correct reference is Michigan Technical U.  This was sourced in a
booklet called, "From Native Forests to Franken-Trees: The Global Threat of
Genetically Engineered Trees" produced by Native Forest Network of
Burlington, VT.
===================

Low-lignin trees which will turn into paper more easily (cheaply). GE
(genetically engineered) trees can be altered in many ways -- to grow fast,
to have no seed or cones, to produce their own pesticides.  There are
ecological concerns and a need to better understand potential long-term
effects of gene flow between GE trees and wild forest relatives.

Is it time to start our work against genetically engineered trees?  If you
think the answer is yes and you want to be involved, send your thoughts to
Sierra Club's Genetic Engineering Committee.  We want to hear from you.

I'm a corresponding member and will share all responses with the GEC, or you
may write to the chair, Dr. Jim Diamond, jim.diamond@sierraclub.org.