E-M:/ Re: Is MSU poisoning the Facts?

Note: a c.c. of this post is being sent to the following, in case they
wish to respond. Directions to join this forum and respond are at the end
of this post:

Larry Swain
Pesticide and Plant Pest Management
Michigan Department of Agriculture
517-373-1087
swainl@state.mi.us

Erica Jenkins
Pesticide Education Program
Michigan State University
517-353-4494
jenkinse@msue.msu.edu

Hello Samuel,

I find offensive your continued assaults on Michigan State University and
the Michigan Department of Agriculture, not just in your last posting but
your many previous postings.

Your arguments are based on what you perceive to be their lack of support
for alternative biological controls using Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
which the company you represent, Praxis, promotes.

In addition to your claims being blatantly non-factual, I find
inappropriate your continued use of this forum to promote Praxis.

I quote from your below post:

"...
MSU/MSU Extension Employees often uses ambiguous authority to discourage
and disparage safer biological control alternatives in general ('do not
work', 'untested', 'more harm to the environment that pesticide use',
etc.) and the ones provided by Praxis in particular.
..."

What evidence in this regards, can you factually present? Without such
evidence, I would consider such statements as bordering on libelous.

Also, in regards to your outdated and distorted discussion of the
pesticide Dursban:

"...
Why do publicly funded land grant universities like MSU work in a
dedicated fashion to keep to Quote Michigan State University Toxicologist
J.I. Goodman, "needlessly exposing children - particularly poor children -
to increased risk.".(by not using Dursban in their home and school living
environment)  This is precisely what is being accomplished by default when
MSU, MSU Extension, and Michigan Department of Agriculture do not bring
all pest management options to the table in a fair and unbiased fashion
We feel very strongly that option like biological control is a grossly
underutilized sustainable natural resource that is being aggressively
overtly and covertly repressed by the status quo in Michigan and
elsewhere.
..."

Just how do you arrive at the conclusion that MSU and MDA are actively
repressing the use of Integrated Pest Management when in fact, they are
actively promoting its use not only on farms but also, in home gardening,
community and residential pest control, etc.

I refer you to the following:

Entomology - http://www.ent.msu.edu/

IPM - http://www.msue.msu.edu/ipm/

MSU IPM Pesticide Education in Communities and Schools:
http://www.pested.msu.edu/CommunitySchoolIpm/index.html
http://www.pested.msu.edu/CommunitySchoolIpm/community.htm
http://www.pested.msu.edu/CommunitySchoolIpm/urbanmaterials.htm

MDA: Michigan Organic Advisory Committee
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1572_2885_15772---,00.html

MDA: Pest Management Using Natural Enemies
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1566_2405-8862--,00.html

This last link is especially interesting, as contrary to your claim that
they have ignored IPM, they actually list your Praxis company contact
info, along with the other Michigan IPM suppliers!

To be consistent in your argument and given your stated opposition to the
MDA, should you not ask Mr. Larry Swain to remove your company from their
list of Michigan IPM companies?

Lowell Prag