E-M:/ Clean Waters - wetlands - migratory birds

Enviro-Mich message from "Paul Hanly" <PNARH@bigpond.com>

Read the article on the Supreme Court interpretation on the act,
particularly the bit about:
"the Supreme Court ruled that the law could not be applied to certain
"isolated" wetlands if the only reason for doing so was their use by
migratory birds. "

It made me think about the international treaties for the protection of
migratory birds and their habitat. The main treaty about which I know is
RAMSAR

http://www.ramsar.org/
The Convention on Wetlands, signed in Ramsar, Iran, in 1971, is an
intergovernmental treaty which provides the framework for national action
and international cooperation for the conservation and wise use of wetlands
and their resources. There are presently 136 Contracting Parties to the
Convention, with 1252 wetland sites, totalling 107.5 million hectares,
designated for inclusion in the Ramsar List of Wetlands of International
Importance.

Australia also has "local" treaties with China and Japan (in about the same
time zone/longitude):
http://www.dlwc.nsw.gov.au/care/wetlands/facts/paa/birds/

Is US a party to these or similar treaties?

Can more wetlands be brought under protection of international treaties for
protection of migratory birds?

Cheers
Paul Hanly
Rhodes Remediation & Redevelopment Website
http://www.rhodesnsw.org