E-M:/ Snippet from Washington Post Article

Old Ties Put Buhl in a Bind
In Past, Michigan Agency at Odds With Environmentalists

Washington Post, Wednesday, March 5, 2003; Page A10

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42859-2003Mar4.html

" To understand why the Maryland Senate may torpedo her nomination to be Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.'s secretary of the environment, one need only look as far as her previous employer and her previous boss.

The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, where Buhl worked for four years as director of its southeast office, has been excoriated by local environmental groups in three separate reports, each with a different spin on the title "Dereliction of Duty.". . .

. . . But Andrew Hogart, chief of Michigan DEQ's remediation and redevelopment department, said the blame shouldn't be placed on Buhl.

"She was trying to do what she was told," he said. "Russ Harding was calling the shots." Buhl, he said, "did more to protect the environment than she's given credit for."

Theresa Pierno, executive director of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Maryland office, has her doubts. "The one thing I was hoping to hear at her confirmation hearing, given the deplorable record of Harding and the Michigan DEQ, I had expected to hear that maybe there was a policy made or a decision that she disagreed with," Pierno said.

When asked, Buhl replied, "Not that I can recall.""