E-M:/ Lynx habitat plan comment period REOPENED by Fish and Wildlife Service - April 15 deadline

Michigan is one of the states that will be effected by Lynx habitat
designations because this is their native range-- AW

NEWS RELEASE

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Mountain-Prairie Region
134 Union Boulevard
Lakewood, Colorado 80228

Contacts: Lori Nordstrom 406-449-5225 ext 208
Diane Katzenberger 303-236-7917 ex 408

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Seeks Additional Information
Regarding Lynx Habitat

	The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service today opened a 30-day public comment
period seeking information to help determine the amount and quality of
habitat in the Northeast, Southern Rockies, Great Lakes, and Northern
Rockies/Cascades regions of the United States for Canada lynx.

	The Canada lynx was listed as a threatened species under the Endangered
Species Act in March of 2000. Within the contiguous United States, the lynx’
s range extends into different regions that are separated from each other by
ecological barriers consisting of unsuitable lynx habitat.  These regions
are the Northeast (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York); the Great Lakes
(Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan); the Northern Rocky Mountains/Cascades
(Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, northwestern Wyoming, Utah); and the
Southern Rocky Mountains (Colorado, southeastern Wyoming).

	 In compliance with a court order, the Service must reevaluate a finding it
made regarding the range of the lynx.  This finding must be completed in
June, 2003.

	The Service intends to examine information that has become available since
the listing of the lynx in March of 2000.  We are making some of this
information available on the Service’s internet site to enable the public to
review and comment on it.  The information is available at:
http://mountain-prairie.fws.gov/endspp/lynx

	We invite comments on elements relevant to our determination concerning the
range of the lynx.  Our re-evaluation will not be limited solely to the
information available on our internet site.

	Written comments and information must be postmarked by April 15, 2003 and
sent to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Montana Field Office, 100 North
Park, Suite 320, Helena, MT 59601; or email fw6_lynx@fws.gov

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is the principal federal agency
responsible for conserving, protecting and enhancing fish, wildlife and
plants and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.
The Service manages the 95-million-acre National Wildlife Refuge System,
which encompasses 540 national wildlife refuges, thousands of small wetlands
and other special management areas. It also operates 69 national fish
hatcheries, 64 fishery resource offices and 81 ecological services field
stations. The agency enforces federal wildlife laws, administers the
Endangered Species Act, manages migratory bird populations, restores
nationally significant fisheries, conserves and restores wildlife habitat
such as wetlands, and helps foreign governments with their conservation
efforts. It also oversees the Federal Aid program that distributes hundreds
of millions of dollars in excise taxes on fishing and hunting equipment to
state fish and wildlife agencies. For more information about the U.S. Fish
and Wildlife Service, visit our home page at http://www.fws.gov

- FWS -

Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http://michigan.sierraclub.org

Learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly