E-M:/ PROTECT THE ARCTIC - TAKE ACTION

Enviromich,

TAKE ACTION TO PROTECT THE ARCTIC!!

Take Action here: http://www.sierraclub.org/wildlands/arctic/budget_bill_2003.asp

1.  The Arctic

As early as today, Congress will be voting on a back-door amendment to the Budget Bill to allow drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Like the Sierra Club, newspapers nationwide agree that it makes no sense to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.  They also agree that the issue has nothing to do with national security or balancing the budget, and everything to do with the oil industry's power and influence inside Congress and the White House. A far better and more effective way to reduce our dependence on oil would be to make our cars and trucks run further on a gallon of gas.

Read a few editorials on the subject: http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/opinion/0303/14oil.html

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/editorial/104756016659300.xml?oregonian?ede

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42988-2003Mar17.html

----

2.  Irresponsible Logging

The Clearwater National Forest in Idaho has billed Plum Creek Timber Company for $11 million because they are at fault for starting two fires in 2000. The fires were started by logging activities on the Company's land, and flames eventually spread to the National Forest. According to Clearwater officials, the specific problem was that Plum Creek's logging equipment was not being operated and maintained properly.

These examples from Clearwater National Forest underscore the role that poor forest management and logging operations in starting or fueling unnaturally large fires.  New Bush Administration policies would give companies like Plum Creek even greater freedom to log irresponsibly on our National Forests, putting even more communities at risk of fire.

Read more here: http://www.sierraclub.org/logging/

----

3.  Leaving Takings Behind

The Arizona State government twice voted down a bill to expand the definition of takings, thereby decreasing the ability of cities, towns and counties to make sensible choices for open space. The bill also would have taken away the right of communities to regulate their own land use. The Grand Canyon Chapter of the Sierra Club worked hard to prevent this bill from passing and succeeded!

Read more about livable communities here: http://www.sierraclub.org/sprawl/community/

----

4.  TAKE ACTION - Save the Arctic!

The Senate is going to vote today (Wednesday) on whether to remove revenues from drilling in the Arctic Refuge from the Federal Budget Bill. The vote is extremely close and will come down to one or two votes. Please contact your Senators and tell them that the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is too important to become just a dollar number in the Federal Budget Bill. Government scientists estimate that there is a 6 month supply of oil, and industry leaders admit that no new oil would be available for 10 years. America needs real energy solutions that will provide sound, long term savings such as increasing fuel efficiency in America's cars and trucks.

Take Action here: http://www.sierraclub.org/wildlands/arctic/budget_bill_2003.asp

----

Sierra Club Legislative Hotline - (202) 675-2394

Sierra Club National Headquarters - (415) 977-5500

Sierra Club World Wide Web - http://www.sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Vote Watch Website - http://www.sierraclub.org/votewatch/

White House Comment Line - (202) 456-1111

White House Fax Line - (202) 456-2461

President George W. Bush's e-mail - president@whitehouse.gov Vice President Dick Cheney's e-mail - vice-president@whitehouse.gov White House Address - 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC 20500 US Capitol Switchboard - (202) 224-3121 To contact your senators - http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm

To contact your representative - http://www.house.gov/writerep

Quote of the Day:

"If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us."

-Governor George W. Bush, in the 2nd Presidential Debate, responding to Moderator Jim Lehrer's question: "How would you project us around the world as president?", 10/11/2000

Dan Farough

Legislative Director

Sierra Club

109 East Grand River