E-M:/ trash industry to do PR makeover on imports

While our thoughts are understandably all on global issues, we cannot afford to forget matters close to our home.

It's been called a blight on the Great Lakes, an environmental threat and a slap to all Michiganians. Now, Canadian trash is fighting back.

Continued outrage that began when Toronto started shipping all its trash to Michigan on Jan. 1 has caused the Michigan Waste Industries Association to hire a public relations firm to polish the image of imported garbage.

Marketing Resource Group Inc. of Lansing will try to sway opinion among lawmakers and the media. The campaign, with an undisclosed cost, follows the introduction of a dozen state and federal bills to stop or slow the flow of garbage into Michigan.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0303/19/c10-112807.htm