E-M:/ Rally at Ice Mountain Bottling Plant, April 5th, Noon to One

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

What: March and Rally at Ice Mountain Bottling Plant
Where: Stanwood,MI. Meet at the commuter parking lot
at exit 131 on US131 to march to the plant (buses and
carpools from Detroit available)
When: Saturday, April 5th. Noon to 1pm

On April 5th, 2002, the Sweetwater Alliance and others
held its first action and marched on the Ice Mountain
bottling plant in Stanwood, MI. One year later, the
plant is still operating. We must renew our commitment
to shutting this plant down and ridding ourselves of
this blight on our community once and for all. Let
this be a kickoff to a summer of action to protect our
natural world and water from Ice Mountain and other
profiteers.

Since last April, we have closed the factory down
twice, and have instituted an aggressive boycott of
the Ice Mountain brand of water. We are in the process
of forcing major vendors of the brand to break off
ties. We have even helped them out by removing the
bottles from the shelves and hiding them in other
parts of the store, away from consumers’ hands.

Many predictions about the plant have come true. The
lakes’ and streams’ levels are dropping—down 5 inches
in Thompson lake alone. Ice Mountain wants to expand
its plant, sink more wells, and further capture
Michigan’s water for their greedy desires. They have
proven that they are not a good neighbor.

Jennifer Granholm is now governor, and she has said
some promising things about stopping water diversion
from Michigan. But, unfortunately like most
politicians, her words are only empty promises. The
fact that the plant is still running should only
remind us that politicians will not solve this problem
for us, we need to solve it for ourselves. So we
return to the plant….

For More Information, contact one of our local
chapters, or check out our website
www.waterissweet.org

Sweetwater Alliance Detroit, 313-410-4155,
stopperrier@yahoo.com
Sweetwater Alliance Mount Pleasant, 989 772-9866,
jon@waterissweet.org
Sweetwater Alliance Lansing, (517) 333-7988
berryjo2@msu.edu
Sweetwater Alliance North, 231-228-5489,
wobbly@waterissweet.org