E-M:/ Greg Wetstone to brief Michigan on White House environmental policy

Dear Michigan environmental leaders and members of the media,
        Greg Wetstone, the policy director of the Natural Resources Defense Council, is coming to Lansing on April 17 to brief state environmental leaders leaders on the potential consequences to Michigan's natural resources and public health if the Bush Administration succeeds in seriously weakening federal environmental laws.
        This is an opportunity for all of us to learn from one of the country's most prominent environmental leaders about what the White House is doing on environmental policy, what it plans to do, and what it means for our fine state.
        The briefing will take place from 1:00 to 3:15 in Lansing, probably in a state Capitol meeting room. The site has not yet been confirmed but the time is set. I'll be in touch again once we have a meeting room. But you can certainly reserve the date and time in your calendars. Reporters, broadcasters, editors, and Web masters also are invited to this briefing. If you could get back to me if you're interested in attending we'll have an idea of how big a room we need.
        Mr. Wetstone, who works in Washington, is the co-chairman of the national "Collaborative Defense Campaign" to confront the administration's policy agenda, a campaign that late last month resulted in the defeat in the US Senate of a bill to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to new energy development. He also is one of the  primary authors of the NRDC's excellent compendium of the Bush Administration's environmental record,  which is on line here: http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/
        Mr. Wetstone is coming to Michigan at the invitation of the Michigan Land Use Institute, which is concerned that much of momentum on environmental progress that we've all worked so hard to achieve in the last few years, and which leaders of both major parties embrace, could be significantly slowed or even reversed by what the President proposes in Washington.
        An article describing the Collaborative Defense Campaign was published in January on Gristmagazine.com. It is here: http://www.gristmagazine.com/maindish/schneider010703.asp
        If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, please get in touch. Thanks so much, Keith Schneider, deputy director, Michigan Land Use Institute.