E-M:/ Re: DOE report on hydrogen production

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, William Tobler wrote:

... see below ...

Hello William,

I don't have a copy of the study done by DOE on the hydrogen production,
as I read it many years ago, but I am sure that if any of our EM list
readers interested in the proof of this, contacted DOE, they could find it
or the American Hydrogen Association could provide the same data, as what
I am discussing is widely known.

As far as the photovoltaic costs to use the Sun to generate the hydrogen
via electrolysis of water, the cost per watt for pv is under $5/watt and
with the new types of mass pv production being introduced, will soon be
down to $1/watt which is competitive with fossil fuel generated
electricity and in conjunction with using advanced solar concentrator
technology to enhance the pv, the cost of the electricity to produce the
hydrogen, will be below that of fossil fuels.

One can also use just the solar concentrators and the Sun to produce the
hydrogen directly from water without electrolysis via pv, as just heat
alone will cause the hydrogen and oxygen ions to disassociate and the
hydrogen can then be separated out. There is much research on this dating
back many years and also many different patents relating to this type of
"reformation" process of water to produce hydrogen.

As to where you get the water to produce the hydrogen, it can be pumped
via pipelines from the oceans. You don't really lose the water, as when
the hydrogen is used in the fuel fuels to produce electricity, you get the
same amount of water back that was used to produce the hydrogen and by
evaporation, the water is eventually recycled.

In short, the process is completely sustainable and pollution free.

Lowell Prag