Re: E-M:/ re: snake oil?

Hi all,

All of the discussion on any type of alternative fuel for personal automobiles ignores the larger problems associated with particulate matter generated from tire and brake wear.

The US is way behind the (European) curve on this type of research. In fact, the only significant material that i've seen in this country on tire PM is from Bucknell Univ.

Estimates are that for every km traveled by a vehicle (in this case a car), approximately 90 mg of tire tread is worn off and emitted into the atomsphere.

It is true that reducing vehicle emissions is an important step for cleaning up the air, but it's only one part of a larger problem.

We do need to find cleaner sources of energy for transportation, but we also need to begin working on reducing the number of vehicle miles driven per person each year (by strengthening our mass transportation systems and other forms of alternative transit).

There's no excuse why a metropolitan area as large as Detroit's does not have a rapid transport system (we have the economy to support one - we just have to find the will to implement it).
As the majority of southeastern Michigan's criteria (and other) pollutants are emitted from mobile sources, we'll never make the kind of progress in cleaning up the air that we want to without getting people out of their cars.
Some extra food for thought,
ken