Re: E-M:/ Pollution prevention resources/programs for golf courses

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>

Matt,

	You could contact the course in Superior Township--I believe it's
called Fox Hills.  They belong to a program that encourages pollution
prevention, IPM programs to reduce/eliminate pesticides, and planting of
native vegetation in the roughs.  There is a program based somewhere in
New York state, using the name "Audubon", that promotes practices like
these for golf courses (though it's apparently not connected to the
Audubon Society).  The Fox Hills folks gave a presentation to the Huron
Valley Chapter of the Michigan Botanical club several years ago, and
described the measures they had taken to reduce pesticide and fertilizer
use, the water-quality monitoring they were doing, and the progress they
had made in planting prairie species.

	Hope this helps.

	--Barb Madsen