Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve Agricultural Land???

Enviro-Mich message from Kris Olsson <olssonk@umich.edu>

I don't know anything about the Yackness proposal, but, generally, many
(and me too) would argue that in areas where infrastructure is provided
(i.e. urban areas) shouldn't even use the open space zoning, which
leaves a substantial amount of the parcel undeveloped.  In these areas,
we should be encouraging as much infill, urban, walkable, livable-city
style development as possible to make most efficient use of the
infrastructure and take as much pressure as possible off of the
surrounding rural/open/agricultural lands.  This would of course include
provisions for plenty of city parks, like in Ann Arbor, or New York
City, or Washington DC.  Ideal would be  a TDR program where the
community could transfer development credits into the urban area to
increase density, and out of the rural/ag area, to truly protect open
space where it should be protected.

Kris Olsson
Huron River Watershed Council
1100 N. Main Suite 210