Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve Agricultural Land???

Title:
Please don't construe my comments to be supportive of  the Building Industry Association of Michigan's position, of which I am unfamiliar other than in the context of your e-mail.  I was just trying to point out, perhaps, an area of agreement and or compromise that would help further explore the many diverse opinions and positions on this rather contentious issue!

Shannon Carravallah wrote:
Agreed in the respect that a mix of development
densities is the best way to encourage growth &
protect the environment. This of course includes
high-density developments. However, trying to
accomplish this by using only two extremes, one high
density & one low density is completely unrealistic.

The first thing that comes to mind with Yackness'
approach is the segregation it would create. On the
west side are the wealthy with large custom built
homes on one acre lots & on the east side are the not
so wealthy with a small manufactured homes sharing a
single acre with 7 other families. Is this really the
future we see for our Michigan communities?

Every article I've read regarding planning
developments in communities is that a mix of
development types must be achieved to create the
careful balance needed in order to accommodate our
growing communities & yet maintain its rural
integrity. Yackness' approach is completely off base
with this approach.

--- "Anne P. Couture" <couture@jasnetworks.net> wrote:

Higher density residential  developments are not
necessarily a bad thing
if implemented through Open Space zoning.  The
concepts of Open Space
development embody several conservation planning
principles.  Some
communities offer a density increase as an incentive
to utilize open
space (conservation) planning principles and design.

Shannon Carravallah wrote:

Enviro-Mich message from Shannon Carravallah

<scarravall@yahoo.com>

Irving Yackness, representing the Building Industry
Association of Michigan, said Granholm's goals of
preserving agricultural land and open space can be

met

by allowing higher-density developments.

The Building Industry Association is proposing
communities allow eight units per acre on 50

percent

of their land with access to water and sewer

services,

and allow one unit per acre on land without water

and

sewer services.

"We believe these objectives can be met by zoning

for

higher density," Yackness said.

>From The Oakland Press article LAND GROUP WANTS TO
SAVE WETLANDS

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7785602&BRD=982&PAG=461&dept_id=467992&rfi=6

ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan

Environmental

and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen

Action.   Archives at

Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For

info, send email to

majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message