Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve AgriculturalLand???

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

There is much to be gained in considering these options - for example in
a township to be unnamed they insisted that 300 acres could only have
one house for each 5 acres - therefore the builder built 60 homes on 300
acres - so what interest was protected there?

>>> "Anne P. Couture" <couture@jasnetworks.net> 04/22/03 10:39AM >>>
Please don't construe my comments to be supportive of  the Building
Industry Association of Michigan's position, of which I am unfamiliar
other than in the context of your e-mail.  I was just trying to point
out, perhaps, an area of agreement and or compromise that would help
further explore the many diverse opinions and positions on this rather

contentious issue!

Shannon Carravallah wrote:

>Agreed in the respect that a mix of development
>densities is the best way to encourage growth &
>protect the environment. This of course includes
>high-density developments. However, trying to
>accomplish this by using only two extremes, one high
>density & one low density is completely unrealistic.
>
>The first thing that comes to mind with Yackness'
>approach is the segregation it would create. On the
>west side are the wealthy with large custom built
>homes on one acre lots & on the east side are the not
>so wealthy with a small manufactured homes sharing a
>single acre with 7 other families. Is this really the
>future we see for our Michigan communities?
>
>Every article I've read regarding planning
>developments in communities is that a mix of
>development types must be achieved to create the
>careful balance needed in order to accommodate our
>growing communities & yet maintain its rural
>integrity. Yackness' approach is completely off base
>with this approach.
>
>--- "Anne P. Couture" <couture@jasnetworks.net> wrote:
>

>>Higher density residential  developments are not
>>necessarily a bad thing
>>if implemented through Open Space zoning.  The
>>concepts of Open Space
>>development embody several conservation planning
>>principles.  Some
>>communities offer a density increase as an incentive
>>to utilize open
>>space (conservation) planning principles and design.
>>
>>Shannon Carravallah wrote:

>>>Enviro-Mich message from Shannon Carravallah
>>>

>><scarravall@yahoo.com>

>>>Irving Yackness, representing the Building Industry
>>>Association of Michigan, said Granholm's goals of
>>>preserving agricultural land and open space can be
>>>

>>met
>>

>>>by allowing higher-density developments.
>>>
>>>The Building Industry Association is proposing
>>>communities allow eight units per acre on 50
>>>

>>percent
>>

>>>of their land with access to water and sewer
>>>

>>services,
>>

>>>and allow one unit per acre on land without water
>>>

>>and
>>

>>>sewer services.
>>>
>>>"We believe these objectives can be met by zoning
>>>

>>for
>>

>>>higher density," Yackness said.

>>>SAVE WETLANDS
>>>

>>http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=7785602&BRD=982&PAG=461&dept_id=467992&rfi=6

>>==============================================================
>>

>>>ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan
>>>

>>Environmental
>>

>>>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen
>>>

>>Action.   Archives at
>>

>>>http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/
>>>
>>>Postings to:  enviro-mich@great-lakes.net      For
>>>

>>info, send email to
>>

>>>majordomo@great-lakes.net  with a one-line message
>>>

>>body of  "info enviro-mich"
>>
>>==============================================================

Confidential:  This electronic message and all contents
contain information from the law firm of Honigman Miller
Schwartz and Cohn LLP which may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee
only.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us immediately (313.465.7000)
and destroy the original message and all copies.