Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve AgriculturalLand???

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

I think I missed the first part of this, but I don't agree with you that clustering will detract from the rural atmosphere.  The way that we do clustering encourages the homes to be placed where they'll have the least impact on the environment and also the least impact on rural views.

The clustering allows visible open space surrounding the homes and saves the woods, wetlands, steep slopes, etc. that make our area desirable.  This dedicated open space allows a place for the residents to recreate and commune with nature.  IMHO, they're getting the best of both worlds, a neighborhood atmosphere created when the homes are clustered together and the rural atmosphere from the open space.  They still may have to travel to get their cheez doodles, but they'll be so busy having fun, they'll forget all about their need to munch. :)
Bonnie

Bonnie L. Shupe
Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator
6878 Belding Road NE
Rockford, MI 49341
(616) 874-6966
(616) 874-8940 (fax)
e-mail: bonnies@cannontwp.org
web site: www.cannontwp.org

>>> "William Tobler" <WilliamTobler@CrittersWoods.org> 04/23 6:24 PM >>>
I live in an area that is still relatively rural, or at least most urban folks think so.  I actually would prefer to live in an area a heck of lot more rural than is available.

The problem for a rural township within a commuting distance of employment is the clustering proposal will quickly transform it to anything but rural.  The factors that keep urban and suburban people away are:
1)  Yuk, you live on a dirt road?
2)  Echk, you drink water that comes out of the ground?
3)  Ooh, where does this go when I flush?
4)  Ach, you go how far to buy cheez doodles?

Creating the cluster home situation takes away all of these deterrents.  It would be one thing if we were building it for the township's residents to live in at their choice.  But instead, you are inviting every one else to move in and take away from you what you hold dear.  If you build it, they will come, and in short order, they will have the local votes to take away the rest, and they will.  I've spent my entire life moving from one area or another that has become a place that I wouldn't even want to visit.

As far developers paying their way, forget it.  They don't and they won't.  Not even close.  It is a real struggle to get the developers to even build and pay for the amenities that they promised to put into their developments in the first place.  Our legislators won't fix it either.  How many years have they had the opportunity to fix the inequity of MHP developments?

The only solution is to address urban and suburban flight, and not create yet more new urban and suburban sprawl.