Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve Agricultural Land???

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

We both have a right to our opinion.  In my opinion, what you are
describing is an attractive urban development, not preservation of
country, rural, or farmland.  Attractive urban development should be
done too, but not masquerade as something else.

---
> Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>
---

> I think I missed the first part of this, but I don't agree with you
that clustering will detract from the rural atmosphere.  The way that
we do clustering encourages the homes to be placed where they'll have
the least impact on the environment and also the least impact on rural
views.

> The clustering allows visible open space surrounding the homes and
saves the woods, wetlands, steep slopes, etc. that make our area
desirable.  This dedicated open space allows a place for the residents
to recreate and commune with nature.  IMHO, they're getting the best of
both worlds, a neighborhood atmosphere created when the homes are
clustered together and the rural atmosphere from the open space.  They
still may have to travel to get their cheez doodles, but they'll be so
busy having fun, they'll forget all about their need to munch. :)
> Bonnie
>
> Bonnie L. Shupe
> Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator
> 6878 Belding Road NE
> Rockford, MI 49341
> (616) 874-6966
> (616) 874-8940 (fax)
> e-mail: bonnies@cannontwp.org
> web site: www.cannontwp.org

> I live in an area that is still relatively rural, or at least most
urban folks think so.  I actually would prefer to live in an area a
heck of lot more rural than is available.

> The problem for a rural township within a commuting distance of
employment is the clustering proposal will quickly transform it to
anything but rural.  The factors that keep urban and suburban people
away are:
> 1)  Yuk, you live on a dirt road?
> 2)  Echk, you drink water that comes out of the ground?
> 3)  Ooh, where does this go when I flush?
> 4)  Ach, you go how far to buy cheez doodles?
>
> Creating the cluster home situation takes away all of these
deterrents.  It would be one thing if we were building it for the
township's residents to live in at their choice.  But instead, you are
inviting every one else to move in and take away from you what you hold
dear.  If you build it, they will come, and in short order, they will
have the local votes to take away the rest, and they will.  I've spent
my entire life moving from one area or another that has become a place
that I wouldn't even want to visit.

> As far developers paying their way, forget it.  They don't and they
won't.  Not even close.  It is a real struggle to get the developers to
even build and pay for the amenities that they promised to put into
their developments in the first place.  Our legislators won't fix it
either.  How many years have they had the opportunity to fix the
inequity of MHP developments?

> The only solution is to address urban and suburban flight, and not
create yet more new urban and suburban sprawl.

MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental