Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve Agricultural Land???

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

I agree with what you say Cynthia.  These are all useful tools to give
more options to Planning Commissions and developers to have better
growth and a variety of growth.  However, none of these tools show much
effectiveness in stopping growth or even slowing growth, at least not
in an area under heavy pressure.  I get angry when they are purported
as such.

I could argue that the cluster and open space planning will actually
accelerate growth.  By allowing twice the density on half the land and
preserving the rest as an "open space", the costs to developers and to
future homeowners is reduced by virtue of reduced need for costly
infrastructure on the parcel under development.  This will promote more
of the same.

In some regards this is good.  Less resources are wasted (good), and I
agree that for some, the result is far more attractive (as Bonnie
described).  It also gives an option to the community, and I'm in favor
of options.  But if the goal was to preserve rural, country and
farmland, in my opinion, it is not good, and these tools are completely
ineffective.

In the case of my township, we are pressured with the tidal wave of
development on 3 borders.  In two cases, virtually all of the available
land has been converted already.  We are NOT faced with where we will
put the next 10% population growth.  We are faced with conversion of
50% of our township into urban/suburban areas in the next 5 years,
whether or not we use any or all of the above mentioned tools. It isn't
because we haven't been proactive with our Land Use Plan.  We are
already in court with several developers, and I expect there will be
more in the future.

If we use the cluster/open space tool for example, we will have
alternating 50 acre patches of extremely high density, and then a 50
acre piece of "open space".  One after another, from one end of the
township to the other.  That's why I said these tools aren't functional
to preserve rural/country life.  That's why I said it will simply
provide a nicer urban environment.  The end effect is almost the same -
the farmland and rural lifestyle is forever converted and lost.

Maybe we should plan CAFOs on those alternating patches of open
spaces?  :-))))

Hey, a new planning tool has been invented!

---
> Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia  Price" <skyprice@iserv.net>
---

> The cluster and open space bill last year (2 years ago now?) was a
> meaningful attempt to give planning authorities another tool to
address
> negative impacts of unmanaged growth. Coordinated and regional
planning are
> two more, as others have mentioned. In addition, in my response to the
> survey sent me by the Land Use Leadership Council, I commented that
one of
> the barriers to successful planning is the mandate that all townships
must
> plan for all uses.
>
> I can tell you that in Bonnie's township, the open space ordinance
(which
> they had in place even before the state bill was passed) is very
useful. On
> the other hand I agree that it won't protect the character of a
township
> that's completely rural, and I think that needs to be considered with
great
> seriousness. Bonnie and I and most of the United Growth for Kent
County
> members worked very hard to pass a Purchase of Development Rights
program in
> Kent County, and that offers another tool. But none of these is
complete in
> and of itself. We need to face a number of difficult challenges to our
> current lifestyles and expectations in order to avoid some very nasty
> consequences that I think may be coming sooner than most people
predict. On
> the other hand, we can't start from any point other than the one we
> currently find ourselves at.
>
> I hope that people are intending to come out in strong numbers for
those
> Land Use Council hearings. In Grand Rapids and other places, they're
on
> Monday, April 28. This is such an important issue.
>
> Cynthia Price
> ----------
> >From: "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>
> >To: "Anne P. Couture" <couture@jasnetworks.net>, William Tobler
> <WilliamTobler@critterswoods.org>, enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
> >Subject: Re: E-M:/ High Density Developments to Preserve
Agricultural Land???
> [...]
> >serious attitude, like it means anything.  The advanced land
> >preservation plans that I have seen all been written from an urban
> >citizen's viewpoint, and quite frankly, I don't see them as very
> >attractive or useful.
> >
> >The developers come in and buy 100 acres.  Then they intensively
> >develop 50, and leave the other 50 as "open space", or whatever you
> >want to call it.
> >
> >When you are done, you have an urban park.  There is absolutely
nothing
> >rural or "country" about it, and other than market gardens, there is
no
> >farm land preserved.  To some, this may be better than having a lot
of
> >large lots and lawns, but in either case, "country and rural life"
was
> >not preserved.  PDR is a great concept, but not exactly affordable
in
> >its present form, and also not in reality affecting very much in the
> >way of stopping conversion of non-developed lands.
> >
> >There is nothing being done about what the real problem is.  This is
an
> >economy (national and/or local) and personal attitudes based on
> >consumption and continuing growth at all costs, and getting someone
> >else to pay for "services" other than those citizens demanding
them.
> >It won't stop until ALL of the resources are consumed, and then that
> >miserable status will be maintained.
> >
> >I don't look forward to it.
> >
> >Urban areas need to be enhanced so that individuals that actually
> >prefer urban life will happily choose to live there (and not be
force
> >to), and not necessitate their flight and creation of new urban
areas
> >in the country at the expense of the country.
> >

> >> Cluster, or Open Space development, if implemented properly, does
not
> >> have to diminish the rural nature of a community.  Rather, if
based
> >on
> >> conservation planning principles, designed to preserve and enhance
> >> natural features while devoting much less land to manicured lawns,
is
> >> good way to allow for some rural growth while maintaining the
rural
> >> character.

> >people

> >are
> >they
> >I've
> >become a

> >developers
> >into
> >it

> >--

> >ENVIRO-MICH:  Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
> >and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.
Archives at