Re: E-M:/ Let the governor be governor

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

Interesting concept

>>> "Mark Richardson" <Mark.Richardson@co.macomb.mi.us> 05/19/03
01:48PM >>>
Grant:  Yes, I think that the "SuperBoard" should be the final
decisionmaker on permits.  The reason I'm suggesting a single, full time
board is to avoid delays in the permitting process by streamlining the
whole process.  The reason I'm suggesting that a board make the
decisions instead of the Director is to open up the process and to
insulate it from politics (or more precisely, to insulate it from the
short-term calculations of politicians seeking re-election.  Everyone
knows that you'll never entirely remove political factors from the
equasion.)  My proposal would restore rightful public participation but
at the same time, hopefully, the process would operate in a quick and
efficient way.  (I should add that my views do not necessarily reflect
the official position of any organization I belong to.)  Mark

>>> "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com> 05/19/03 12:15PM >>>
Mark

Are you suggesting putting the office of ALJ under this board?

An issue this topic requires thought on is how to avoid using it just
to delay - that is the underlying concern that prompted business
interests to support getting rid of some commissions.

>>> "Mark Richardson" <Mark.Richardson@co.macomb.mi.us> 05/19/03
09:34AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Mark Richardson"
<Mark.Richardson@co.macomb.mi.us>

Chuck:  I agree with your comments.  While I am a supporter of the
Granholm admn, I am skeptical about the willingness of any Governor,
Republican or Democrat, to cede authority to an independant commission.

It occurs to me that, politics being what it is, there is an
opportunity
to return real power to a commission under the present circumstances.
Republicans might favor empowering a commission as a way of limiting
Granholm's power in exchange for supporting her idea to reunite the
MDEQ
with the MDNR.  While I favor commission governance as a way of
insulating environmental decision making from politics, I don't want
go all the way back to the 17 or so commissions we had.  I think
Michigan should look hard at ways to streamline and unify
environmental
permitting and I would look to a full-time PSC type body to make
permitting and rule making decisions.  Any thoughts?  Mark Richardson

>>> <Cubbagec@aol.com> 05/18/03 06:27PM >>>
Let's drop back in Mich history a bit.  Seems like Gov Blanchard and
then Gov
Engler started the movement towards exec office accountability by
disabling
and disbanding the boards and commissions that were put in place,
wisely, in
my opinion, to insulate the state agencies from the vagaries of
partisan
politics. The boards and commisions were one of the reasons Michi was

leader in environmental protection pre Engler.  Where is the wisdom in

continuing the executive office power that is supposed to =
accountability.
It is not good gov just because one happens to like one administration
better
than another.

People who fail history class may have to repeat it in more than one
way!! :>
)
Regards,
Chuck

=============================================================ENVIRO-MICH:
 Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives
at

enviro-mich"

Confidential:  This electronic message and all contents
contain information from the law firm of Honigman Miller
Schwartz and Cohn LLP which may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee
only.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us immediately (313.465.7000)
and destroy the original message and all copies.