E-M:/ A Significant Moment in the Battle Against Out-of-State Trash

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Surfus <jeffsurfus@comcast.net>

To all,

Please note that this is a significant moment in the decade-long battle to
stop out-of-state trash from coming into Michigan.

We finally have legislators from both sides of the aisle coming together
and proposing significant legislation that will put a dent in the flow of
out-of-state (including Canadian) trash!  The bills introduced last week
by House and Senate Democrats and Republicans mean that the message has
finally been received in Lansing that inaction is not an option.

For many years, the mantra of many in power in Lansing has been "There's
nothing we can do.  We need federal legislation."

Due to the significant efforts of a few courageous legislators, such as
Rep. Paul Gieleghem (D-Clinton Twp), we are now further than we have ever
been.

Starting this Wednesday, and on two succeeding Wednesdays, the House Land
Use and Environment Committee and the Senate Natural Resources and
Environmental Affairs committee will jointly be conducting public hearings
on this new legislation and other legislation that has been introduced to
lessen or stop out-of-state trash.

The hearing info is as follows:

Wednesday, May 21
6:30 p.m.
Oakland University - Business & Technology Bldg.
242 Elliott Hall Auditorium
Rochester

Wednesday, May 28
6:30 p.m.
Rondel Media Center
Meads Mills School
16700 Franklin Road
Northville

Tuesday, June 3
8:00 a.m.
1st Floor Senate Hearing Room
Michigan National Tower
124 W. Allegan Street
Lansing

Never before have hearings of this nature been held on this issue, other
than cursory hearings by the House Land Use Committee, only to see
legislation die before reporting out of committee.

It is crucial that folks with an opinion on out-of-state trash attend at
least one of these hearings.  We are certain that the waste industry will
send their vocal representatives!

Come to a hearing and express your opinion.

Jeff Surfus
NO WASTE of Michigan
Don't Trash Michigan