E-M:/ Re. Emerald Ash Borer

My community, Livonia, is acutely afflicted with emerald ash borers.
As a member of the Livonia Tree City Community I have had a front row seat on the problems, both environmental and fiscal, that this beast is generating.

Many questions remain regarding the ultimate impact of the emerald ash borer but conventional wisdom supports the following:
1. Mortality of true ashes (Fraxinus sp.) is 100% when untreated.
2. Success of treatment is highly questionable, and would have to be repeated
    annually to provide continuous protection if it did work..
3. Infected trees sucumb within a few years and must be removed from any area
    where falling wood presents a hazard.
4. This beetle occurs over a wide range of latitudes in Asia and has the potential for
    colonizing most of North America.

I  observed, on several ocassions last fall, people transporting cut ash wood north on I-75, presumably to hunting camps and cottages. A few days ago I saw a man driving west on I-94 from Ann Arbor past Jackson with a trailer load of ash firewood.

I will leave it to the pundits to speculate to where all this will lead.

John Covert
Friends of the Detroit River