Re: E-M:/ EPA to Hold Hearing on Methyl Bromide in East Lansing

Title:
Pesticide apologist's abound in Michigan, a leader in repressing safer biological control alternatives.

The pesticide mind set and the so-called "critical use" exemptions so often held and supported in Michigan are tragic.  False claims of "complete failure" to be able to operate any agricultural or horticultural enterprise without this environmental biocide or that is part of the extensive pro-chemical industry biases and "better living through chemistry", " industry on parade" mythology that was pioneered right here in Michigan for chemical industry clients and exported to many other Land Grant universities that work daily in a dedicated fashion to protect the pesticide marketplace.  Golf course operation, tomato and pepper growing were all effectively and profitably carried out before Methyl Bromide was available and can be done using organic or biological control strategies.  All you have to do to maintain this charade is deny the existence or repress the alternatives.  Please note below two Praxis Biotool KitsTM that are commercially available to Green keepers and farmers.  There are many others as well.  Hiding non-pesticide alternatives from the public interested in pesticide use reduction is not acceptable.

Vegetable Crops & Fruit Production

Directed to Growers who want to eliminate pesticides, herbicides, fungicides from  their management production systems.  Visit our web site, call, or write us biological growing alternatives for vegetable, grain and fruit crops.  Biological control of major and minor crop pests, reduce non-point pollution and groundwater contamination.  The Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA) encourages all pest management strategies that are consistent with pesticide use reduction to lower the risk to children and women who are more easily harmed by these toxic products.

Capsicum Biotool Kit"Peppers.

Solana Biotool Kit" (Agriculture). Potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant and other solanaceous vegetables.

From Our Landscape Ecology Research

HedgeMaster Biotool Kit" (Agriculture).  Increasing plant diversity for sequential nectar and pollen availability in perimeters results in increased natural animal diversity in urban, suburban, and agricultural settings. Hedgemaster" is used in the perimeter of areas with crop production in agricultural Biotool Kits" to support the biological components of the programs. It is a real time degree day schedule for biological applications and pest events and it gives opportunity for farmers or horticulturalists to increase the worth of their land and provide a reservoir for beneficial plants and organisms off crop cycle to assist in further agricultural diversification and production.  Developed from more than twenty years of observation of landscape ecology with plant insect interactions.

Rute Biotool Kit" (Japanese Beetle) Pesticide free Japanese beetle control, parks, golf courses, arboreta, airports and other turf surfaces.

Vectus Biotool Kit" (Biting Insects). Mosquito, Black Fly and other biting flies control, of medical and veterinary
importance.

IPM Definition:

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is a pest management strategy that focuses on long term prevention or suppression of pest problems with a minimum impact on human health, the environment, and non-target organisms and is based on biological control.

Praxis Rationale for Reliance on Biological Controls as the Primary Control Methods

>From USDA, APHIS, NBCI (National Biological Control Institute), Dr. Ernest S. Delfosse, Ph.D., Director: Re:Biological control,

 "It is the first option for pest management, and replaces chemical control as the, base strategy of Integrated Pest Management".

USDA, EPA, FDA, Tripart Agreement to reduce pesticide use and protect children.(pesticide use reduction 100%)

National Research Council's Pesticides in the Diets of Infants and Children. 1993. This book and study identifies children as being at higher risk than adults from pesticide exposure.

The National PTA's and National Education Associations position on pesticide reduction and health and human safety- in school settings.

Sincerely,

Samuel DeFazio.
Praxis
2723 116th Ave
Allegan, MI  49010   269-673-2793

Alex J. Sagady & Associates wrote:

EPA to hold hearing on June 16 on so-called "critical use" exemptions
for ozonosphere-toxic methyl bromide in East Lansing.    The golf
course industry and some Michigan tomato and pepper growers
claim they cannot exist without using this material.....

[Federal Register: June 2, 2003 (Volume 68, Number 105)]
[Notices]
[Page 32750]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr02jn03-79]

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
[FRL-7506-1]

Protection of Stratospheric Ozone: Methyl Bromide Critical Use
Exemption and Allocation Planning; Notice of Stakeholder Meeting

AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
ACTION: Notice of stakeholder meetings.

SUMMARY: EPA will hold stakeholder meetings this summer on the methyl
bromide critical use exemption (CUE) program in Washington D.C. and in
locations around the country to be announced. The stakeholder meetings
will assist applicants with the 2003 critical use exemption (CUE)
application, provide guidance to 2002 critical use exemption
applicants, and discuss options for allocation of methyl bromide under
the CUE. For additional information on the application workshops and
for logistical information, please contact the Office of Pesticide
Programs. Preliminary information on additional, tentatively scheduled
workshops is listed below. Updated information will be posted to both
<A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr">www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr</A> and <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"http://www.epa.gov/pesticides">www.epa.gov/pesticides</a>. Interested members of
the public are encouraged to R.S.V.P. no later than June 10, 2003, by 5
p.m. for the June 16 allocation session by contacting the Office of Air
and Radiation as listed under ADDRESSES.

DATES: The meetings will take place:
    1. Washington, DC--Allocation options session: Monday, June 16,
2003, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at EPA Judiciary Square, 1st Floor
Conference Room, 501 3rd Street, NW., Washington, DC 20009. CUE
application workshops--the week of June 16, 2003.
    2. Raleigh, North Carolina--the week of June 16, 2003.
    3. East Lansing, Michigan--the week of June 16, 2003.
    4. Orlando, Florida--the week of June 24, 2003.
    5. Parlier, California--the week of June 24, 2003.
    6. Washington, DC--Allocation options session: Friday, August 15,
2003, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at EPA Judiciary Square, 1st Floor
Conference Room, 501 3rd Street, NW., Washington, DC 20009.

ADDRESSES: Send R.S.V.P's for the June 16 Washington DC allocation
sessions to Hodayah Finman at U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Global Programs Division (6205J), 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW.,
Washington, DC, 20460; via phone at 202-564-2651 or electronic mail at <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"mailto:finman.hodayah@epa.gov">
finman.hodayah@epa.gov</A>.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For additional information about the
application workshops and logistics, contact Bill Chism, U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Pesticide Programs (7503C),
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue., NW., Washington, DC 20460; telephone: (703)
308-8136; e-mail: <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"mailto:chism.bill@epa.gov">chism.bill@epa.gov</A>.
    For additional information and R.S.V.P.s on the allocation options
sessions, contact Hodayah Finman, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency,
Office of Atmospheric Programs (6205J), 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue., NW.,
Washington, DC 20460; telephone: (202) 564-2651; e-mail: <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"mailto:finman.hodayah@epa.gov">
finman.hodayah@epa.gov</A>.
    For further information on the Critical Use Exemption from the
phaseout of methyl bromide, contact the U.S. EPA Stratospheric Ozone
Information Hotline at 1-800-296-1996.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Methyl bromide is a chemical pesticide that
has been identified as an ozone-depleting substance under the Montreal
Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer (Protocol) and the
Clean Air Act. It is scheduled for complete phaseout by January 1,
2005. The Critical Use Exemption is designed to allow continued
production and import of methyl bromide after the phaseout for those
uses that demonstrate they have no technically and economically
feasible alternatives.
    The purpose of the June 16 meeting, and other sessions on the
allocation rule, is for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to
describe potential options for allocating critical use exemptions
authorized by the Parties to the Protocol and to provide a public fora
for input on the issues raised by allocation options. At this first
session on June 16, EPA will describe possible options to be discussed
in the allocation notice and comment rulemaking process. The
presentation of possible allocation options will be followed by a
lengthy question and answer session. At the subsequent session on
August 15, EPA will seek stakeholder comments and statements on the
allocation options in either an oral or written format. At this time,
EPA is announcing the time and location for sessions on allocation
options to be held in Washington, DC and requests that all interested
members of the public R.S.V.P. to the Office of Air and Radiation no
later than June 10, 2003, by 5 p.m. for the June 16 session and no
later than July 29 at 5 p.m. for the August 15 meeting. EPA will be
having additional discussions about the notice and comment rulemaking
process for the allocation of critical use exemptions as part of the
meetings to be held in locations outside of Washington DC. Further
information on the other methyl bromide sessions regarding the CUE
application process will be posted to both <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr">www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr</A> and
<A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"http://www.epa.gov/pesticides">www.epa.gov/pesticides</A>. Additional information about the Critical Use
Exemption of methyl bromide can be found at <A HREF="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="">"http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr">http://www.epa.gov/ozone/mbr</A>.
    Individuals wishing to attend these meetings or participate via
conference call are encouraged to R.S.V.P. For those who cannot travel
to the Washington DC, sessions on allocation options, there will be 20
conference call lines available on a first come, first served basis.
When registering, please give your name, organization, postal (and
electronic, if any) mailing address, telephone, and fax number. All
statements, questions, and answers will become part of the public
record and will be considered in the development of any proposed rule.
If there is insufficient interest in a meeting, that particular meeting
may be canceled. The Agency bears no responsibility for attendees'
decisions to purchase nonrefundable transportation tickets or
accommodation reservations.

    Dated: May 22, 2003.
Drusilla Hufford,
Director, Global Programs Division.
[FR Doc. 03-13720 Filed 5-30-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-60-P

Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com