E-M:/ Sierra Club volunteers ID 173 potential CAFOs in Michigan -- so far

Through hundreds of hours and diligent effort, volunteers throughout
Michigan have helped the Sierra Club compile a list of 173 suspected
animal factories (concentrated animal feeding operations CAFOs) in the
state.  That list is being provided to the Michigan DEQ staff who are
charged with identifying and verifying the existence of an estimated 300
CAFOs in the state of Michigan.  We are NOT making that list available
publicly, so please do not request a copy.

We do encourage anyone who believes or suspects they know the location
of a CAFO in the state to share it with us and with the DEQ Water
Division -- because there have been NO requirements for any
identification of existing CAFOs or even proposed ones in state, this is
probably the ONLY way all of them will ever be properly identified and
properly regulated.

Anne Woiwode

Anne Woiwode, Staff Director, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48906
517-484-2372; fax 517-484-3108  anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
visit the Mackinac Chapter on the web at http://michigan.sierraclub.org

Learn the rules so that you know how to break them properly