Re: E-M:/ Gerald Henning and MDA failure to respond: LSJ today

Enviro-Mich message from Kathy Melmoth <melmoth@dmci.net>

I was a public health nurse in the 80's. One of my jobs was to answer
the phone and try to answer questions. I encountered poor, desperate and
sometimes angry people. It was MY job to listen and try to move a
problem to a point of discussion and referral, if not resolution.
I now farm full time for a living in Hillsdale County and have been
exposed to the incredible stench of CAFOs while trying to work outside
in our plant nursery. I live 5 miles away from Vreba-Hoff, another dairy
CAFO, responsible for multiple violations and stench.  Hartland Farms
too is responsible for multiple violations and stench and has yet to pay
any fines. Our water data show ongoing water pollution downstream from
all the CAFOS.
Gerald Henning is a long time farmer in the area. The stench from
Hartland Farms has been incredible as many of us have experienced first
hand driving past Gerald's place or visiting. He has been diagnosed with
hydrogen sulfide poisoning by an expert M.D. as have other people living
in the vicinity of CAFOs.
This method of livestock production is extremely dangerous to public
health, both mental and physical, as has been documented in every state
where CAFOs exist. It is extremely dangerous to the environment.
We have all gone through the "chain of command" with MDA,  I have seen
MDA officials state at a public meeting that there were no complaints
about CAFOs. Many MDA officials are or were Farm Bureau members, a
private insurance organization with ties to the industries involved in
CAFOs. Most of us have stopped even calling MDA. It is not worth our
time. But Gerald, along with the rest of us, was told to call MDA for
complaints. Complaints they later called unverified because all rules
pertaining to CAFOs are voluntary. He has been threatened, his mailbox
had a bomb in it, and multiple insults and incidents have been suffered
by his family. On top of that they have to live with the incredible
stench of liquid feces and urine, over applied and unincorporated, on
the same fields over and over. A stench that in no way resembles farming
odors of smaller, nonliquid, operations without lagoons.
Legislators and MDA supervisors have been informed from the beginning
with documentation and pleas for help. They have ignored the problem.
MDA handled this whole situation very badly and I hope supervisors and
legislators are paying attention.

CAFOs are a very polluting and destructive method of production. The
system needs to change. This method of livestock production is
destroying rural communities across this nation and is doing the same in
south-central Michigan. The  mental and physical health of individuals
are as badly impacted as the water and air.
Instead of prosecuting a lifelong, small farmer, MDA should be
investigating methods of production that do not harm neighbors or the
environment. Instead, they appear to be simply spokespersons for a very
wealthy, subsidized industry.

Sincerely,
Kathy Melmoth, RN and farmer.