Re: E-M:/ Alert: Protect Michigan from Factory Farms

Enviro-Mich message from "Cynthia  Price" <skyprice@iserv.net>

It appears to an outsider (who has dealt with MDA both as a sound-land-use
advocate and through "buy local" food work with Michigan Integrated Food &
Farming Systems and the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council) that
MDA's mission is not to regulate the farming industry, but rather more to
regulate everyone else to protect farming. I don't have much quarrel with
that goal, actually, except that farming has somehow moved from a
family-business model to a corporate-industrial model, as previously noted.
It's both intuitive and demonstrable that entities like Vreba Hof
(spelling?) coming in from the outside have no genuine investment in the
community. So why expect them to care about the health and cleanliness of
water they're not drinking or ecosystems they're not living in? In that
sense it almost seems to me like a "free trade" issue, rather than a farming
issue. And although of course some of the CAFOs are run by locals, that
whole activity seems to me to require some new thinking about regulation.

There are plenty of good employees at MDA, and I can vouch for at least a
few who believe strongly in organic growing and helping smaller farmers. But
until we as a society examine the "bigger is better" philosophy on every
front, we're going to be stuck cleaning up messes, in fact, BIG messes. So I
guess I agree with Mark that we need to rethink MDA, but I also believe we
need to rethink the whole food system and get at the real reasons that
current farming practices damage our environment.

Cynthia Price
<enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>, <info@michiganimc.org>,
<snakeman1549@yahoo.com>, <earthfirstalert@yahoogroups.com>,
<stopperrier@yahoogroups.com>