Re: E-M:/ THE SOLUTION: re: cafos, Gerald Henning, MDA, etc.

Enviro-Mich message from geodynamics@comcast.net

Lowell,

I agree with your thesis that closed vessel anaerobic digestion is a much
better way of handling the wastes than what is done now. Orders of magnitude
better. However, going "dry" takes away the cleanliness of the water-flushed
floor and, without significant design changes, will likely lead to more odor
(plus dust and gas) problems in the confinement buildings. In addition,
there will have to be new-hires who can be trained in the operation of a
batch-fed digestion facility -- that takes more education, ethics and smarts
than local drop-outs can provide. But, never-the-less, it could work.

As you imply, odors associated with spreading the digested wastes would be
much less offensive than the anaerobic liquor that is sprayed onto or
"injected" into the soil -- more of an earthy smell than the
tear-your-guts-out and bleed-your-eyes stench. This, of course, assumes that
the digestion process has been completed -- if you pull it out too early,
all bets are off.

The problem of over-application of the digested wastes still remains,
however. You simply cannot put more nutrients into the soil than what the
crops can efficiently remove before the nutrients migrate below the root
zone. I continue to argue that the best area to dispose of the wastes in on
deep-rooted prairie-type vegetation, not annual croplands, particularly
early in the season and later in the summer.

You make an assumption about selling the digested wastes that I'm not sure
could be accomplished. I presume that you expect local farmers to avail
themselves of a low-cost "organic" soil amendment in lieu of the
manufactured chemicals they now use. If, for whatever reason, there is no
market for the wastes, even for a year, what happens to the excess? If, as a
farmer, I would be even remotely interested in accepting (let alone buying)
the wastes, I'd surely want a complete assay of the composition, with a
great deal of focus on the presence of antibiotics and other "amendments"
that are pushed into the animals or applied to their environs.

My root problem with the modern ideas is that they require a bit more
attention to properly operate. Yes, you and I can look at the idea and say
sure, it's simple and it should work without any problems. But, then you
have to step back and recognize that it'll be the same folks, running the
more complicated new stuff, that can't figure out that their lagoons are
overflowing, that can't figure out that agronomic rates doesn't mean spray
irrigating winter wheat in November and can't figure out why their neighbors
are in a rage.

I will continue to argue that, in settings and climates like Michigan's, the
amount of livestock on a farm or CAFO, should be limited to what that land
area can directly support by either pasture or feed-crops.

Short of eliminating CAFOs entirely, I would surely support anaerobic
digesters, as I would odor removing biofilters for the confinement buildings
(allegedly 90% efficient if properly operated). Most importantly, though, I
would want to see a state-licensed plant operator for each of the CAFOs.
That individual would carry significant liability for the proper operation
of the facility as it relates to waste management.

Tim Carpenter