E-M:/ the demonstration against Governor Granholm

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davedem@hotmail.com>

Two postings earlier today about a demonstration at the former residence of
Governor Granholm implied that the right of citizens to protest peaceably
against government policies was denied. If true, that would be upsetting. I
decided to check into the story and find out what state officials had to
say.  Their answers to my questions follow below.

Keep up the peaceful protests. I hope concerned citizens will direct their
energies at least as vigorously toward the Michigan Legislature, which has
been gutless so far this year in fulfilling its duties to enact strong water
conservation standards legislation, not to mention water pollution permit
fees. The Legislature is opening the door to the export of Great Lakes water
by the truckload, if not the lakeload. This could damage Michigan's future
irrevocably. Perhaps some members of that august legislative body would
benefit from a citizen education project.

1. The governor does not live where the demonstration took place anymore.

2. The subdivision has private roads, not public. The subdivision
neighborhood association made the call to the Northville Township police
saying it did not want the protesters in their neighborhood. The state
police merely monitored the situation at the request of Northville Township.
There were 3 state police cars there -- not 8.

3. State police allowed one of the protesters of the group to drive through
the subdivision to see that the house was unoccupied.

4. State and local police provided the alternative for the protesters,
across the street on the sidewalk where they held their protest.

6. Northville Township has a local ordinance against passing out leaflets.
The township police choose to enforce this ordinance when the protesters
started passing out literature. (My note: this is an absurd infringement on
free speech rights.)

7. The five new wells that were issued recently in conjunction with the
Nestle/Perrier project were issued by the County Health Department for
monitoring, in conjunction with the county's local sanitary code. There was
no state role in those permits.

-
-

If true, this sounds like Granholm operating exactly like
George Bush did when he was governor when he used the
Texas Department of Public Safety to suppress demonstrations
in front of the Texas governor's mansion....an incident that
led to litigation......  and shows the Michigan State Police acting
like the Crawford Texas sheriff in suppressing public
demonstrations near Bush's Texas retreat.....incidents
that happened recently.