E-M:/ St. Clair Shores PCB sampling results

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

TOXIC FREE SHORES
PRESS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: July  2, 2003

Toxic Free Shores Contacts:
Ralph Reich 586.778.0754, Lorol Brackx 586.775.6656,
Brenda Rothstein 586.677.0360, Bruce Terwilliger 586.774.4674
Cyndi Roper, Clean Water Action:  517.490.1394

Citizen Led Sampling Indicates Dangerously High Levels
of PCB Contamination in Storm Drain and Canal!

St. Clair Shores, MI---The results are in from Toxic Free Shores' (TFS)
independent "Citizen Led Sampling Initiative" and, unfortunately, they
reveal high concentrations of PCBs both inside and outside of the Ten Mile
storm drain catch basin. In addition, levels at two other locations in the
Ten Mile/Lange/Revere canal measured above the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency's (EPA) action level of 10 (parts per million) ppm, which
prompted the recent $6 million "time critical cleanup."

All along residents questioned the validity of the EPA clean up results and
repeatedly asked state and local officials to conduct follow-up sampling.
Ultimately, TFS hired contractors who took 12 samples at 7 locations along
both sides of the canal.

TFS members were expecting high PCB levels but were astonished by the
results: the PCB levels inside the catch basin measured 1,000 ppm, which is
1,000 times above the 1 ppm level that is considered "safe" for human
contact, and a sediment sample taken in the canal beneath the storm drain
outfall detected PCBs at 270 ppm, (270 times above the "safe" level).  TFS
member and canal resident Ralph Reich pointed out that this is the same
area of the canal and the same storm drain from which EPA recently claims
to have removed "all highly contaminated" sediment containing PCBs
following a year of intense cleanup. "Canal residents were told this would
not happen again," stated Reich. "We were told that Macomb County officials
would continuously monitor the drain to ensure it had been completely
cleaned. We could see they weren't fulfilling their word and decided to do
it ourselves."

"This site must remain an EPA Emergency Response Site, and an immediate
remediation needs to be completed by the EPA, the county, and the city,"
stated Bonnie Richter, a canal resident and TFS member. "We are stunned
that EPA cleaned to a PCB 'non-detect' level and in a very short period of
time the contamination is back at 100 times above the action level,"
continued Richter.

"PCBs are still finding their way into the drain," reported TFS member and
canal resident Lorol Brackx. "We fully expect the EPA, the Michigan
Department of Environmental Quality, Macomb County, and the City of St.
Clair Shores to continue a full investigation of this pollution until the
source of the contamination is discovered and removed. This must be done
for the health and safety of our families and neighbors living in St. Clair
Shores," concluded Brackx.

Mary Kay Worley a member of TFS and the St. Clair Shores Yardners suggested
that the investigation and testing should include the whole drainage
district. "St. Clair Shores residents may have contaminated property even
if they do not live along the canal," Worley said.

A $500 contribution from the St. Clair Shores Yardners and a $1,700 grant
from Clean Water Fund funded TFS' testing and lab work, which was conducted
by Clayton Group Services, the same lab the EPA used.

"We commend Toxic Free Shores members who have tirelessly worked to find
the cause of this contamination and to ensure a proper cleanup is
completed," stated Cyndi Roper, Clean Water Action's Michigan Director.
"For more than a year, TFS members have sought to assist local, county,
state and federal officials in the cleanup and investigation but, for the
most part, officials have not taken their issues seriously. These test
results confirm that TFS' concerns were justified, and they should be given
a prominent role in determining the next steps."

The lack of communication between agencies and lack of information to
residents affected by the contamination was a major problem for neighbors
during the EPA clean up. Residents have had to continuously spend countless
hours trying to make contact with representatives of all agencies to share
their concerns to obtain pertinent information and/or clarify potential
misinformation. "We feel that the lack of cooperation and the communication
breach was a gross negligence by all agencies involved", stated Brackx.

Heath Issues are of major concern to residents. Brenda Rothstein, a
Registered Nurse and Toxic Free Shores member states, "The residents on the
10 Mile / Lange / Revere canals in St. Clair Shores have been unknowingly
exposed to unsafe levels of PCBs and heavy metals some of which are quite
soluble in water and others that easily find their way in to the air we
breathe, for decades."

"The County will obviously have to also take a closer look at a potential
source for the contamination and/or reconsider replacing or relining those
drains as they (Anthony Marrocco, Macomb County Department of Public Works
(DPW), Public Works Commissioner) had originally promised to do in June of
2002," continued Rothstein

"Ultimately we want the source to be found, we want a complete clean up and
we want continued monitoring. W are prepared to hold our officials
accountable for our safety and well-being", stated Reich.

Residents are talking with legal representation regarding the current
testing information and this new development.

TOXIC FREE SHORES
Toxic Free Shores is a grassroots citizen's organization created by
citizens, for citizens, to provide knowledge and to enhance the safety of
those persons who are directly or indirectly affected by excessively high
levels of Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and other hazardous contaminants
found in the canals and drains adjacent to Lake St. Clair in St. Clair
Shores, Michigan.
Visit our website at:  toxicfreeshores.org