E-M:/ Oakland County Land Use map

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>

"For the first time, Oakland County has produced a
digital land use map that some communities insist
should be used to both curb urban sprawl in outlying
areas and promote growth in established
municipalities."

http://www.detnews.com/2003/oakland/0307/04/b01-209617.htm

If one wonders why sprawl will never be addressed in
Oakland County, consider this quote:

"Older suburbs could increase their population density
by allowing developers to build higher residential
buildings," Toffolo [Dennis R. Toffolo, director of
Oakland's Department of Community and Economic
Development] said. "Ferndale also has 40 acres of
vacant land for development. Before they cast stones,
they should address their future growth."

While urbanized communities do have a role in
addressing urban sprawl and they can help by allowing
infill development, the idea that Ferndale's 40 acres
of vacant land is the key to addressing sprawl in
Oakland County is ludicrous. Yet this is what we are
hearing from the top levels of the County's Planning
and Development agency. Clearly, we've got a long ways
to go in Oakland County and the County government is
part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Andrew Mutch
Novi